Welcome to Tea with DidiSep 19, 2019
Window treatments get a lot of attention. It is usually one of the first things most people notice when they walk into a room. But that does not mean they have to be super expensive or overly complicated. In fact, I am a minimalist when it comes to window treatments. I will take a simple pair of curtains over swag any day. The draperies I have made for my clients are expensive because they are hand made with custom fabric and we add a lot of intricate details. Fortunately, there are options out there for different tastes and budgets.
A few tips when you are deciding on window treatments:
· You can choose stationery panels that stay put or functional draperies that you open and close. Wood poles are a better choice if you are going to operate your draperies.
· If you are tentative, select a fabric and style that you feel will serve you for years to come. You can easily change your wall color and accessories, but furniture and draperies are usually the substantial investments.
· Draperies do not have to be mounted directly over a window. If you want the ceiling to seem higher, mount the draperies higher on the wall.
· Draperies can serve a number of purposes: beauty, privacy and light control are usually the three most important. Remember that blinds and shades can be used along with the draperies to cover all your bases.
· Do not scrimp – Figure the width of the area you want to cover and then choose panels that are 2-3 times as wide. You want them to look luxurious and full, not pulled taught.
· Always choose a lined drapery (unless you are doing sheers). The lining protects the drapery from being damaged from heat and sunlight. The drapery will also hold its shape better over time.